Monday, June 18, 2007

The rhyming couplet ... explained

I read all of Shakespeare's sonnets when I was in high school and since they all end in a r.c. I think that poetic form has been deeply embedded in my brain. For a more complete explanation look it up on Wikipedia. This will be a poetry website full of mundane poetry from my daily life and brilliant poetry from other authors. Here is a favorite by Milton

XIX On His Blindness 1655
When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This will be fun. You need to do something about the dots, though...