Monday, June 18, 2007

To my father

A shrinking shadow,
you were so tall
the sun was high
when you started to fall

Slowly sinking
didn't notice at first
- inflated puddle
first shortened, then burst

the bright light inside
the day that you died
cast nothing but spotlights
on the tears that i cried

two salty dribbles
race down my chin
one father died
a new one begins

you reached for my hand
you started to love
you called me at home
as the sun stretched above
climbing again
it reaches higher
casting a shadow that won't expire.

After my dad's heart attack, he has realized the importance of family and has reached out to us all in different ways. Thanks dad.

1 comment:

DellaRose said...

so sad that it often takes something such as this...but so beautiful to finally see when God can open the eyes of a Father and cause him to love in a better way